Friday, March 28, 2014

An Evening of Luna-cy... and Lettering

I had the distinct pleasure of working as a volunteer calligrapher at the Luna Dance Institute's annual "Evening of Lunacy" Gala fundraiser, along with a tarot card reader, professional photographer, live action poets (complete with dance ensemble), and other marvels of artistry. The event occasioned the making of a brand stamp, pictured below, which I paired with Luna's stamp on these one-of-a-kind hand-crafted mementos of the evening. A guest would see my sign, sit down at my table, and make a request: "Would you write my dog's name?" or "Could you do my and my partner's name together, with a heart?" As I obliged, first in pencil then ink, we would chat, and I learned some interesting things about people I'd never met before...

 
my stamp!

This was one contender for my stamp, which I tabled for another time.
First guest of the night. He makes electronic music under the name "Blender."
The full name of a little miniature poodle. Her owner, a patron of the arts, showed me lots of photos.

"Storybird" is the company, made of 2 young Oakland videographers, who made the Luna Dance Institute video.
In love but not married
African art dealers

Maroon, for a change of hue
This one is perfectly balanced!
Only one person requested a single word. I'm glad it was this word.
This will live on the wall of a Wells Fargo teller, who only works to support her love of gardening.
The night ended, appropriately, with a wine glass being knocked off my table. Saluté!

No comments:

Post a Comment