Thursday, June 26, 2014

Eleanor: 1988-2014

My first car was a gold 1988 Honda Civic named Eleanor. She and I have been together since I got my license in 2003. Today I said goodbye to her for the last time. 

She appeared in a composite illustration on the cover of the El Cerrito High School yearbook in 2004 as one of the "senior cars" recognized by many Gauchos. She and I (non-alcoholics) picked people up from parties, from BART, took friends to the City, and carried so many dance costumes to DP rehearsals! We took 2 round trips to Colorado together and toured the Southwest both alone and with college mates. She not only met all of my boyfriends but let each of them sit in the driver's seat at least once. 

I cried with Eleanor a lot. She sat with me while I picked at my new tattoo. She knew my grandmother very well, and brought her to the ocean after some of her final chemotherapy treatments. Eleanor was such a good listener, a trusty steed, and always told me I was beautiful. My ticket to freedom, the open road.

I miss you.
Eleanor + Ali + Cali to Colorado adventure
Me + Eleanor in Nevada
Me + Eleanor in Utah
Ali in the driver's seat for the first time!
Add caption
Goodbye, my trusted friend! I miss you already!

No comments:

Post a Comment